"Don't bother to pack your bags, or your map. We won't need them where we're goin'. We're goin' where the wind is blowin', not knowin' where we're gonna stay."

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Kim's Guest House: My Home Away from Home

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm staying at a guest house in Hapjeong called Kim's Guest House. My friend Tina recommended it and I'm really glad she did because it's been an amazing experience. I sleep in a room with four bunk beds totaling eight people - cozy to say the least. The first night took some getting used to as people come in and out of the room at all hours, but have since gotten used to it and now I sleep like a baby.

One half of my eight person room. Top Bunk!


The lounge/computer room.

The kitchen. Free toast!

The great thing about staying at Kim's is the people I've gotten to meet. My first night I met a guy from Seattle...from my high school! He graduated a few years after I did, so I didn't know him, but what a small world. I've also met very cool people from Singapore, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, France, and Switzerland - some of which I hope to see again as I continue backpacking. My house mates are here for reasons that span from grad school research to vacation to writing rock & roll music, so it's been really fun hearing everyone's stories.

Lastly, and bestly, what makes Kim's Guest House so awesome is the appropriately named Sunny, who, along with her brother, runs the guest house. She's so friendly and full of energy and makes us all feel at home. She's run the guest house for 10 years now and it has become so well known for being a great haven for backpackers that it's featured in Seoul's Lonely Planet. She's originally from Seoul, but has learned English and Japanese by conversing with backpackers throughout the years (she refers to it as the "Kim's Guest House Language School"). She's definitely helped me start my three month trip with a smile.


At dinner with Game and Sunny. Eating BBQ chicken, or as they call it in Korea, BBQ chicken (Sunny gets it).

I'm not a big Yelp reviewer type, but if you're ever looking for a great (and cheap!) place to stay in Seoul and want to meet cool people from around the world, I definitely recommend Kim's Guest House!

1 comment:

  1. Pert, Glad that you are having a good time. Still waiting for the info on your VN visa. Will forward as soon as I get it. Have fun.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete