"Don't bother to pack your bags, or your map. We won't need them where we're goin'. We're goin' where the wind is blowin', not knowin' where we're gonna stay."

Friday, May 20, 2011

"Roughing it" in Saigon with Uncle Tom

So, I'm supposed to be backpacking my way through Asia and Europe, implying that I'm roughing it in some way, shape, or form. Supposed to be. But while in Saigon, I took my backpack, dirty beard, and flip flops into the Sheraton Hotel. Let me explain.

My dad mentioned to his friend, Uncle Tom, that I'd be staying in Saigon for a few days and that I'd be finding a hostel to stay at. Uncle Tom (being one of my dad's many generous friends) insisted that Carolyn and I stay at the Sheraton because he was a super preferred member of some sort and pulled some weight. Not wanting to disrespect Uncle Tom's offer (and being the spoiled, pampered baby that I am), I graciously accepted and proceeded to "rough it" in Saigon...all while in a bathrobe.


A little roomier than the hostels I'm used to.

Carolyn and I decided to explore some famous/historical sights Saigon area as well as look for food! We first headed to the Ben Thanh market to check out some local meats, produce and knick knacks. It was definitely a lively atmosphere with rows and rows and rows of vendors. We then followed that by going to the Reunification Palace that used to serve as the presidential palace before being taken over by communists. We also went to the Cu Chi tunnels that were used during the Vietnam War.


Ben Thanh market.

The Reunification Palace.

Cu Chi tunnels.

For food, we discovered a little corner that sold a lot of my favorite Vietnamese dishes, so we had more than a handful of meals there over our few days in Saigon. We also ate a ton of fruit (mangosteen!).

We ate here about a million times.

Everyone's favorite - banh mi!

Bo kho - Vietnamese beef stew eaten with french bread. One of my favorites.

Cafe sua da - delicious iced coffee and fun to say.

Bun rieu - seafood/crab soup with noodles.



Can't come to Vietnam without some pho.

Roast pork, Vietnamese style.



I could eat mangosteen and durian all day. And I did.

Back to Uncle Tom. He and my dad met 30 years ago when my dad sold him chinese sausages for his grocery store. My dad opened his own grocery store a few years later and they stayed connected ever since. Uncle Tom mentioned that my dad is one of his only friends in Seattle and really helped him out when he first moved to the states. My dad even flew down to San Jose to help Uncle Tom open up his grocery store way back when. It was really cool listening to Uncle Tom talk about my dad, because it re-confirmed that my dad is one cool dude (at one time he mentioned my dad was "better than a brother" to him).

(On a side note, hearing all of these family members talk about my dad makes me realize that he's awesome in more ways than just being my dad. Everyone loves him because he's loyal, genuine, and gracious. They all talk about how they really wish they could see him more, and it just reminds me that I'm lucky I get to be his son - even though I take him for granted all the time.)

Enough with the mushy stuff, let's get to more food! Not unlike Uncle Oscar, Uncle Tom was overly generous with me. Not only did he arrange for me to stay in a really nice hotel, he also took my friends and I out to dinner each of the nights we were in Saigon (luckily for me, there's something about my dad's friends and their love of fine dining).

Day 1: Amazing Sheraton buffet


Cooked to order meats.They even had crocodile!




Day 2: Vietnamese food traditionally cooked for the king




Day 3: Cantonese food


Whole deep fried fish.

"Yes, these are egg tarts."

Day 4: Peking duck


Amazing meal. They carved it table side and even made the little wraps for us.

You've heard this broken record a lot, but spending time with Uncle Tom showed me again just how lucky I am. I had never met Uncle Tom before this trip, and yet he put me up and took me around and refused any thanks I tried to give him. Also reminded me that my dad's cooler than cool, he's ice cold. So ice cold in fact that I got to walk around in a bathrobe for four days in Vietnam just because I'm his son.

Uncle Tom and me.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Pert. It was very lovely and glad that you are having such a good time. Love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good, Pert! You are definitely eating well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the food blog update Pert! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you have some Soda Chanh there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. that roast pork looks AMAZING. and the duck just makes my mouth water. yay for your dad and uncle tom!

    also, i remember those tunnels... oh man..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...that food looks SO good. Looks like you're having an amazing trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that buffet @ the sheraton might be the sweetest thing i've ever seen... fresh cut meat and seafood for your picking? plus all that sushi?! ridiculous.

    awesome trip and great updates!

    ReplyDelete