"Don't bother to pack your bags, or your map. We won't need them where we're goin'. We're goin' where the wind is blowin', not knowin' where we're gonna stay."

Friday, December 11, 2015

Covert Ops - Mission: Blind Date

Back home, I have a weekly standing meeting with my good friend Tiff called "covert ops." It's really just a weekly sync, and we rarely get into any real espionage. But last week I had a real life encounter with some covert ops in the form of a blind date.

For those salivating over the prospect of reading about me going on a blind date, let me clarify a bit: it wasn't actually my blind date.

There are two wonderful students I have in my evening class named Champa and Monytep. They're sweet, funny, and radiant, and I just smile when I see them - I would be ecstatic to have daughters like them one day. One day after class, Michael and Champa passed on a cryptic message to me: "Friday night, we have something planned." I asked for more details, but they both just gave me mischievous smiles and told me just to be ready to go...somewhere.

Friday rolled around, and I still had no idea where we were headed and for what reason. I just got on the moto and took a ride with Michael. We met up with Champ, Monytep, and their sister Chiva. And then one of Michael's long-time friends met the five of us before we drove to a little noodle shop by the side of the street. Once we sat down, it all clicked: this was a blind date between the girls' sister Chiva and Michael's friend! We were just along for the ride to act as wingmen/wingwomen.

I sat at the "kiddie" end of the table with Champa and Monytep and it was so fun and funny interacting with them. Champa kept stealing glances over to the other end of the table, would give me a little smirk, and then we'd sneak a little high-five before recomposing ourselves as to not blow the cover. I felt like the most immature 32 year-old man of all time, but what better reason to act a little goofy than sitting beside a busy Cambodian street eating a hot bowl of noodles with fellow hopeful onlookers at the prospect of love? Stay tuned for updates :).

Champa and Monytep, my co-conspirators in the game of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment