"Don't bother to pack your bags, or your map. We won't need them where we're goin'. We're goin' where the wind is blowin', not knowin' where we're gonna stay."

Monday, December 28, 2015

Meet the Boys, Volume 1: Nathan

As most of you know, I live in the English school I teach at along with one of the teachers, and three of the students. They've been my family out here and have been the single reason I'm still alive. So yea, they're special to me.

I wanted to kill a couple of birds, so I gave the boys some homework that gave them a chance to practice speaking English, while giving me a great opportunity to learn more about their lives.

First up: Nathan. If I can summarize Nathan, I'll say that he's hardworking, shy, and above all else earnest. There isn't a bone in his body that is insincere or trying to be anyone else. He isn't the most vocal (which is a skill in and of itself), but he's so thoughtful, which is something I really love about him. Without further ado...


Name: Nathan (Bora)

Age: 20

Home province: Kompongcham

What are you currently doing? 
Going to high school grade 12, and also taking English classes at Shelter of Peace.

What were you doing before coming to Shelter of Peace? 
I was a monk for four years. Two years at the temple in my hometown, and two years at the temple down the street from Shelter of Peace.

Why did you leave the monkhood? 
I moved to the temple nearby because the temple in my hometown no longer taught classes, and I wanted to continue my education. Then the temple nearby stopped teaching classes as well, so I had to go somewhere else to continue my education. Instead of going to another temple, I decided to leave the monkhood because I also wanted more freedom to try other things. Being in the monkhood didn’t allow me a lot of freedom to pursue other interests.

Why is learning English important to you? 
It helps me communicate with people from all over the world, and I think it will also help Cambodia if we can learn English and be connected to more people.

What are your goals for your future? 
I want to be a manager for a company, and I also want to teach English to poor children, so they can have better opportunities.

Why are these your goals? 
I want to be a manager because people need a good leader to help them work well together. Just like families need good leaders, I would like to help provide that for a company.

What will you need to do to achieve these goals? 
I need to study hard this year so that I can pass the 12th grade test and be in a better position to get into university. This will be a challenge because at the Buddhist temple, I was only taught up to an 8th grade level, so I will have a lot to catch up on this year.

What are your family’s goals for you? 
My mother only got a 2nd grade education, so her focus for me was always to get my education. She didn’t care as much about what career I chose, but she just wanted me to get my education.

What does a perfect day look like? 
I would like to have a whole day to explore Angkor Wat. I’ve been there only once and I only had two hours to see all of the temples. There are many more things I want to see there.

If you could learn one thing, what would that be and why? 
I would like to learn how to be a good manager.

What is one thing Pert has learned since coming to Cambodia? 
He has a better understanding of how people in Cambodia live day-to-day.


BONUS: Questions from Nathan for me - I told you he was thoughtful (his answers in parentheses, no answers from me:)): 
Do you ever think about getting married? (Yes, 28 years old) What are you looking for in your wife? (Smart, kind, and will let me do what I want) Are your old girlfriends married now? Are you happy with your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment