"Don't bother to pack your bags, or your map. We won't need them where we're goin'. We're goin' where the wind is blowin', not knowin' where we're gonna stay."

Monday, January 25, 2016

My Happy Place

Before coming out here, I had a little personal goal: to find a place where I frequented enough that the people recognized and knew me. I was initially thinking it would be like the local market, and I would get to know the older ladies selling vegetables or fruit or something. I don't really go to the market that often so that version of the dream hasn't been realized, but I did get introduced to the coffee stand in the nearby Buddhist temple and that has become my go to place if I ever want to just get away and read, write, listen to music, or people watch.

And my dream of being "a regular" was confirmed a few weeks ago when I sat down at the coffee stand and the mother (of the mother/daughter tandem that run the place) brought me my iced coffee without me having to order it. I can't overstate how awesome that little act was.

On top of that, it's a prime location because so many people pass by the stand on their bikes or motos. I get to meet a lot of people that pass by everyday, like San who is the garbage guy that walks by everyday and stops by to practice his English with me, or some of the monks who frequent the stand and want to meet the barang (foreigner). I also get a chance to see a lot of my students come and go because the high school is just down the road. It's also the location of where I got in my moto accident, so it's the source of many memories :).

This coffee stand was also literally the first place I went to when I arrived in Cambodia. Michael picked me up from the airport, and took me there to get an iced coffee before I even went to the house to unpack. I'm sure when I think back on my time in Cambodia, this coffee stand will be at the forefront.

40 cent cafe duk dakoh taggoh! (iced coffee with condensed milk - the first word I learned when I arrived)



 The coffee stand is also where I get my beauty tips...

...as well as my fruit.

Success! Also, that's ramen seasoning we're dipping the mango in, and it's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment