"Don't bother to pack your bags, or your map. We won't need them where we're goin'. We're goin' where the wind is blowin', not knowin' where we're gonna stay."

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Meet the Boys, Volume 3 (The Finale): Jason

Welcome to the final installment of meeting the boys I live with. Last but not least is Jason. The thing that sticks out to me the most about Jason is that he is thoughtful in his concern for me. He was the one who took care of me when I got in my moto accident. And other times he'll ask me if I feel OK if I look tired or sick. He's not as gregarious as Tiger and not as quietly earnest as Nathan. He's probably somewhere in the middle, but definitely is always thinking and concerned about people in his life, which I really appreciate. OK, one last time. Let's go!


Name: Jason (Sophea)

Age: 19

Home province: Kandal

What are you currently doing?
Taking English classes at Shelter of Peace.

What were you doing before coming to Shelter of Peace? 
I was a monk at the temple down the street, but even then I attended Shelter of Peace to learn English.

Why did you leave the monkhood?
I left because the temple closed down their school. If they kept the school, I would still be a monk.

Why is learning English important to you? 
It helps you get a job and it’s also important to get into university.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time? 
I like to listen to music, use Facebook, and sometimes read Khmer books.

What is your favorite food? Tom yum soup (Pert’s editorial comment: Jason makes the best tom yum soup I’ve ever had).

What person has influenced you the most? How did they influence you? 
My parents. They taught me a lot and helped me get started in my education.

What are your goals for your future? 
I want to be a politician and a policeman. It’s something I’m really interested in and I also want to help reduce the corruption in Cambodia.

What will you need to do to achieve these goals?
I need to study hard to pass the grade 12 test, and then apply for university. When I’m university, I’ll probably study law.

What are your family’s goals for you? 
My parents wanted me to be an engineer because it provided a good salary.

What does a perfect day look like? 
It would include a lot of talking and laughing, seeing my family, and eating tom yum soup.

If you could learn one thing, what would that be and why?
I would want to be a doctor because it would be a good job to have.


What is one thing Pert has learned since coming to Cambodia? 
He’s learned some Khmer and has also learned how people in Cambodia live.

He also cooks a mean chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment